Thursday, September 23, 2010

Debt Free... Here I Come!

So I'll be completely honest with you. I am horrible when it comes to managing money. When I was young I spent some of my savings on a new car and then I spent the rest paying off my stupidity through accidents and speeding tickets. Then I spent money on eating out constantly while always on the move and trying to pay high bills with low paying jobs. This year alone I have racked up 4 part time jobs in order to pay off all that I have to... Car, Phone, Insurance, Loan, etc... Some months I was ahead of the game and on top of the bills, but most months I was crushed underneath overdrafts, late fees and high interest rates and having to ask mom for help. And only last month was my car in danger of repossession.

So safe to say, it's time for a change. So I decided (no really this time) to finally get my game together. I want to be debt free. Seems like a ridiculous dream but with the right decisions and alot of work, I believe it can definitely happen. So Your probably asking why is she talking about all this? Well since I'm on this little journey to finally get on top of my debt... I figure I'd share this with all of you guys. Who knows maybe it will help someone and better yet maybe some of you can help me.

Anyways the first of my financial blogs is about making the decision to get debt free and then taking the actions to do it.

Action #1: Study about personal finance, managing money, getting debt free, etc!

I figured I can't complain about being broke and sucking at managing money if I never even studied how to manage my finances. So simple and yet it was a last resort. Just goes to show. lol So I rushed off the Barnes and Nobles and picked up something called "Personal Finances for Dummies" and started there. The book sounds ridiculous but theyre actually a really good resource. I brushed up on the basics of the entire book and felt like I found a really good place to start.

Also I was surfing the Liquid Church website and found this message. Life. Hope. Money. by a guy named Dave Ramsey. Seriously I was blown away and especially encouraged to actually get this thing rolling. He is Christian but what I love about him is that theres nothing crazy spiritual. Nothing nystical or magical. He just explains everything in such a practical way. I could sit here and explain it to you forever, but if you want a good resource and your interested, check it out for yourself! Hope it helps!

Feel free to leave comments, tips, stories...

http://morristown.liquidchurch.com/pages/page.asp?page_id=71737

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I visited your site: www.janetmendez.blogspot.com and I must say that your site has got really good and worthy information. While reading your articles I found them to be really good and informative. I am a regular visitor of your site and I have been reading them since quite a long time. I work as a content writer in many financial communities and so I was just wondering if I can do something for your wonderful site. I would like to give you an unique article of around 500 words on any of the topics like FOREX, Stocks, debt, mortgage, credit, insurance etc. I assure you that the article will be published only on your site.

    The best part is I won’t be charging you a penny, but in return all I need is just one link within the article. I am also associated with few finance sites also which I keep on updating on the regular basis.

    I would be really honored if I can do something for your site :)

    Please feel free to get in touch with me regarding this anytime you want.

    Looking forward for your positive reply.

    Thanks,
    Sara James
    sarajames27@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete